Author Topic: Kyushu Kurobuta Tonkatsu Tour  (Read 2116 times)

NOAL

• Pin Heads
  • Hit Lichen Scrub
Re: Kyushu Kurobuta Tonkatsu Tour
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2024, 02:59:33 PM »
DAY 5 NAGASAKI to AMAKUSA  50 miles

I really enjoyed visiting Nagasaki.  Have to say Nagasaki and Fukuoka were my top two favorite cities for the trip.  If anyone out there is thinking about visiting there I would suggest staying for a minimum of two days. It is a small city but there is a lot of sight seeing, good food to eat, and neighborhoods to explore.  I recommend.

There is not a tunnel through the hills on the East side of the city so there was a little bit of climbing early in the day but nothing heinous.  I started riding at 6 and made really good time and before  I knew it arrived at the onsen resort town Obama. This onsen has been used for about 1300 years and is super hot with temps around 100 celsius.  As nice as the town looked and as tempting as it was to stay at one of the Ryokans there it would not give me enough mileage for the day. 

Obama

Cool building with cafe on the first floor and design firm on second floor

closed bummer

A problem that I encountered on this trip was that many of things that I wanted to visit in rural or small towns were not open during the week.  For instance there was an eco village in Obama that I wanted to visit that was not open and also there were numerous pottery villages that were closed during the week.  This type of scheduling also holds true for inns.  Seems many inns are closed Monday-Wed and some might only be open Fri-Sat.  Something to keep in mind if you are planning a trip.  I'm pretty flexible about things and if a trip turns out totally different than what I had imagined I'm o.k with it.  This especially true with doing a bicycle trip.  A good tactic would probably be to visit larger cities during the week and rural places on the weekend.

So after a slow ride through town I continued down the coast towards the ferry for Amakusa.

Like usual it was hot so these are always a welcome sight

These covered sections of road reminded me of riding on the coast in Hokkaido except they go on for miles there.

cool rock

Like usual it was hot.  Stopped at this beach and went swimming.  I was the only person there but judging from the facilities this place must be packed during the summer. 

I floated around in the water for about 1/2hr.  Ten minutes from the beach was the ferry terminal.  Went inside and bought a ticket.  I had about an hour till the next boat so got lunch at the Italian restaurant in the building.  Italian food and Indian food from what I can tell are very popular in Kyushu.  Had linguine with mushrooms and Italian sausage.  Had just enough time to eat and then board the ferry.

Cars and motorcycles waiting to board.

Ferry workers.  Check out the air conditioned jacket.  Many of the workers I saw had these air conditioned jackets.  It has fans on the back on both sides that kind of inflate the jacket and keep you cool. 

bike tethered to rail on the ferry.  I like how they put the wooden blocks under the wheels.

Inside ferry

The ferry ride was pretty short. Maybe 1/2 hour.  Once I arrived on the other side I consulted the map to see what my lodging options looked like.  I had bookmarked a campground about a mile from the ferry landing.  The reviews said it was nice but sort of primitive camping.  Checked it out and there was not anywhere to charge the phone and the nearby prospects of food were not good.  Decided to head into Amakusa and look for an inn or hotel.

Amakusa is famous for being the island that Christians hid in the 1700 and 1800's to avoid being executed.  I had read up on this a bit before the trip and was mildly interested.  There is clearly strong Western/European influences in Kyushu.  In Nagasaki there was a neighborhood called Dutch slope that was an area with European style buildings where foreigners merchants lived.  It's called Dutch slope because all Europeans were called Dutch at one time. 

It appears there is plenty of site seeing on the island but the actual city of Amakusa was not the place to do it.  This city was one of the least interesting and I hate to say this and hope that my limited interaction with the locals is not a true representation of the rest of the population, it was also the most unfriendly.  Started out looking for a guest house or inn.  First I tried an inn.  Poked my head in the genkan and said konnichiwa.  A woman appeared and just kind of shook her head and shooed me away.   From there I rode a couple of streets over to a place called a business inn.  Looked like you get a room with a tatami floor and they cook dinner and breakfast.  Online review said the owner was really nice.

Here's a travel tip if you know very little or no Japanese.  If you ask a question and the reply begins with Sumimasen (sorry) the answer is gonna be no.  If you hear a sentence and it ends with Nai that means no.  Walked in to this business in and before I could ask about a room heard the sentence that ends in Nai.  Tried to ask where might be a good option and then got yelled at with just a big ole NAI!!! and both arms held up to make a X.   I left.

Next I tried the 10 story business hotel in the middle of town.  The guy at the desk here was pretty nice.  $45 for the night and he saw my bicycle and said I could park it in the lobby.  Did not have to even ask.

Took a shower and then tried to figure out dinner prospects.  Looked like there were a fair amount of places with good reviews.  Went out for a walk and yep, they were all closed.  Came back and had dinner at the hotel.  I was the only person in the restaurant.  Aji fry or fried fish.  It was pretty good.  Went back to the room after that and watched some TV.

NOAL

• Pin Heads
  • Hit Lichen Scrub
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2024, 03:13:52 PM »
DAY 6  AMAKUSA to SATSUMASENDAI  71 miles

I was a little bit torn about what route to take.  I could cut across the island and ride down the Western coast or just head South of Amakusa and ride the bay side of the island.  From the map it looked like the West side of the island had quite a bit of site seeing stuff and an onsen town but would they be open during the middle of the week?  I opted to just ride South. 

Early morning bay side

Morning coffee from vending machine in the woods

It's about 40 miles to the bottom of the island and the next ferry landing.  I was a little worried that I made the wrong decision by taking the Eastern route but soon those feelings were put to rest.  This section of riding was one of my favorite of the trip.  The road narrowed down to a single lane and stayed right on the edge of the water for most of the time. Every few kilometers there would be a small fishing village tucked into a cove usually followed by small stretches of hill climbing through forests that would drop into another cove.  Almost no traffic. 

This area seemed to be very less traveled.  There were quite a few abandoned houses but there appeared to still be a fair amount of elderly people living there.  Many of them were out in the morning doing gardening, farming ,or working on stuff. 

Woman  with umbrella in rice field

I arrived at the terminal and had about an hour to kill.  Took a look at the shops in the area.  First I stopped in this bakery.  They had French style pastries, bread, and sandwiches.  Very nice.

Also stopped in this gift shop. 

The owner was very nice.  I bought a sake cup.  As I was leaving he said " wait wait" ran to the back of the shop and came back with a small hand towel that he gave to me.  This is a great example of getting judged by a Japanese person in a softened manner.  Turns out most everyone carries a handkerchief.  They are especially handy in the summer to wipe off excess sweat.  This way when let's say you are resting your arms on the edge of a counter at the hotel reception you don't leave sweat marks or in this instance I am sure when I entered his shop I got droplets of sweat on his floor.  In a nice way he was letting me know "you nasty".  If you visit get a handkerchief and the locals will think you are civilized. 

Still had some time before the ferry so ate the bakery stuff. 

The ferry ride was pretty much the same as the one before. 

Welcome to Nagashima It's Balls Hot Here!!

That's right it was extremely hot here.  There was also a significant hill climb with no shade to get out of the port.  They did have this thing at the port which lightened the mood a little.  It's made from pine tree branches and pine cones.

View from one of the hill climbs.  Really beautiful coastal views but not easy access to the beaches. The heat made me want to jump in the ocean but the jump would be off a 200 ft cliff. I suppose the same is true for the California coast.

Once again I was rewarded with a roadside station on a nasty hill climb! 

bought some dried bantan (pomelo) with sugar and strawberry popsicle. 

a little ways down the road was a sweet potato farm that had this outside.

He looks like a mushroom but is supposed to be a sweet potato.  I might have mentioned earlier that Kagoshima is known for having some of the best sweet potatoes in the world.  The farm had a gift shop with all kinds of funny merch featuring this character but there was no one manning the shop.  I walked around for 10 minutes trying to find someone to take my money.  I was really hoping to try some sweet potatoes.  None of that happened so I had to jet.  Had a baked sweet potato later in Kagoshima. Got it out of a sweet potato vending machine.  Yep that's a thing.

One downside of growing the best sweet potatoes is the need for a lot of fertilizer.  Stinky and did I mention hot?  Very hot.

Next town and where I was hoping to finally stay at an inn was Akune.  Got there and not much going on in Akune.  Many closed businesses.  Thought I found the inn but it turned out to be the onsen next door.  The lady at the onsen told me no rooms today at the inn.  What to do?  There was a campground near by but it was on a island only accessible by ferry.  I could camp in the public park.... When things are confusing take a break at the Lawson.

Having nowhere to sit inside Lawson I took the usual spot leaning against the front of the building.  It had been a hot day.  One of those days when the sweat leaves salt marks all over your shirt.  I was hot and in a foul mood. Moments like these are when I am glad that I am traveling alone. In my bad mood I was also struggling to open a plastic packet of soy sauce which ended up squirting all over my shirt.  I then had to pour water all over myself to get it out.  I decided to vent my frustration by just riding to the next city Satsumasendai. 

My riding had seemed kind of sluggish all day.  Turned out the air pressure in my back tire was low.  Filled it up and started riding.  This 1.5 hours of riding was not my favorite scenery wise but was the best in putting down some quick miles.  I was able to stay in the top gear on the big chain ring the whole time. The road was rolling , where you are riding downhill spinning the top gear and the next uphill section is short enough that you don't have to down shift.  There was traffic from people getting off work.  My mood improved immedialtely as I jammed down the road riding as fast or faster than traffic.  For most of the trip I did not listen to music but I had the headphones listening to some GVSB

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
  • my density has brought me to you...
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2024, 11:23:35 AM »
That first picture of the bay looks so peaceful and I liked the imagery of you flying down the road in top gear keeping up with or passing traffic.
One wheel shy of "normal"

BAP

• Mudders
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2024, 11:31:14 AM »
The owner was very nice.  I bought a sake cup.  As I was leaving he said " wait wait" ran to the back of the shop and came back with a small hand towel that he gave to me.  This is a great example of getting judged by a Japanese person in a softened manner.  Turns out most everyone carries a handkerchief.  They are especially handy in the summer to wipe off excess sweat.  This way when let's say you are resting your arms on the edge of a counter at the hotel reception you don't leave sweat marks or in this instance I am sure when I entered his shop I got droplets of sweat on his floor.  In a nice way he was letting me know "you nasty".  If you visit get a handkerchief and the locals will think you are civilized.

Now I know why I had gotten so many beautiful handkerchiefs from my cousins.  I thought they just love me so much.  :P

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2024, 12:10:03 PM »

Morning coffee from vending machine in the woods

OK, this is wild. Is it really out there by itself? Or is it part of more civilization behind your back as you take the shot?

BAP

• Mudders
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2024, 01:02:14 PM »
OK, this is wild. Is it really out there by itself? Or is it part of more civilization behind your back as you take the shot?

There are these kind of vending machines in China too.  I was so happy to see them by the side of the road when I was running in Beijing and Hainan province.

NOAL

• Pin Heads
  • Hit Lichen Scrub
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2024, 08:53:20 PM »

It's really in the middle of a forest.  No buildings or other man made stuff in sight. It's oddly beautiful.   I have a book of photography by Eiji Ohashi of roadside vending machines in Japan. Scroll down on the site page. Beautiful work.  https://eijiohashi.com/en/work/roadside-lights-i

I thought they just love me so much. 
Gets you to thinking....  I try to be as observant as I can on these trips but many things get past me.  Once I thought about the hand towel gift immediately in the next 1/2 hour I noticed almost everyone had a hankerchief and was using them often. I think even if you are a foreigner and live there it would take years or maybe never to be able to learn all of the etiquette.  It's very nuanced sometimes.
  The way the shopowner handled the situation made me think about Japanese manners and soceity.  People there generally keep to themselves meaning they dont really strike up conversations with complete strangers.  For example , no one asked once on the trip anything about me riding a bicycle.  In the U.S. people would be asking where are you going, where are you from , how far are you riding etc.  Not in Japan.  You can sense that everyone is aware of each other but there is a feeling that it is to make sure everyone is following the rules.  Here's the catch hardly anyone says anything to your face if you are doing something minorly wrong.  You just get a dirty look and maybe they will make a side remark as they pass you.  If you are doing something pretty bad they might just try to help with a suggestion to nudge you back into following the rules.  That's what the shopkeeper did .  He was making a suggestion in the form of a gift that would push me back into the norm and he was helping others by keeping them from being subjected to my nasty sweat.

NOAL

• Pin Heads
  • Hit Lichen Scrub
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2024, 09:08:33 PM »
  That first picture of the bay looks so peaceful and I liked the imagery of you flying down the road in top gear keeping up with or passing traffic.

I think I recently converted from a sunset guy to a sunrise guy.  Sunrise can be very peaceful.

There's a certain simple joy and freedom in riding a bicycle sometimes.  It seems when I was a kid I had that feeling more often but it still happens occasionally as an adult so I got that going for me.

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
    • http://www.sonorapassclimbing.com
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2024, 01:25:20 PM »
Very much enjoyed!! Thx for embedding the images and linking to Eiji Ohashi! The vending machines in the middle of nowhere are pretty cool. Somewhat the opposite of the ethos here in that we think of a vending machine being in a forest as sort of anathema. It just doesn't belong. But there, lit up at night, all by itself, it kind of makes sense in the broader contextual/cultural picture of the  that you've painted for us.

ありがとう
On Aid at Pinns... It's all A1 til it crumbles. - Munge

NOAL

• Pin Heads
  • Hit Lichen Scrub
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2024, 02:35:12 PM »
Yes!  Just think how good a Japanese vending machine would look in the High Peaks.

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2024, 06:42:32 AM »
Yes!  Just think how good a Japanese vending machine would look in the High Peaks.

In the name of making all things safe and delightful!

A Camp 6 installation with hot and cold vending choices would save lives(and haul bag weight) and bi-weekly garbage service there is greatly needed.
Causing trouble when not climbing.

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2024, 07:35:44 AM »
The helmet police out there will love this one.  The third day
I chucked my helmet.  The helmet channels sweat down your face making all the sunscreen get in your eyes which burns like mother and blinds you. Goodbye helmet.

My first morning walk location in Hawaii was a poor choice. The vegetation left a much too narrow path against a lane of many fast moving vehicles and I told myself to not walk this particular road again. On my way back, a guy who had been riding a scooter was laying, unmoving in the road. He was wearing a helmet. This happened right across from an Urgent Care, a few people were preparing to roll him onto a stretcher.

Post some photos.

I switched locations to a "bypass highway" with wider shoulders and minimal traffic.

I parked by an access to this area, fished here the next morning.

This little piggy was on his way back from the market.

This little piggy was not wearing a helmet and didn't look both ways before crossing the road on his way home.

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2024, 07:51:27 AM »
 There were more cruise ships at Kona than last year or so it seemed to us. The aftermath of the Lahaina fire last year?

Claire's comment on this one was "Why would you name a cruise ship like this the Edge? They should have named it the Wedge!" I tried to explain that Edge sounds edgy and wedge... anyway, she couldn't be convinced that Wedge was not the most appropriate name for this humongous ship.

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2024, 09:01:08 AM »
I tried to explain that Edge sounds edgy and wedge... anyway,

Maybe it's time for...well...you know.
Are you sure that is not U2's private yacht?

Apologies to Noal for silliness on his thread.

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2024, 10:01:24 AM »

Maybe it's time for...well...you know.
Are you sure that is not U2's private yacht?

...there is an article in Scientific American today titled, You Don’t Need Words to Think.

Nope, just hordes of bonofide tourists.

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2024, 12:28:57 PM »
...there is an article in Scientific American today titled, You Don’t Need Words to Think.

I modified my post and sent you a message too (in case the modification doesn't spark a conclusion).

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2024, 02:41:33 PM »

I read your message. The telepathy worked!

NOAL

• Pin Heads
  • Hit Lichen Scrub
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2024, 07:35:14 AM »
Nice pics Clink.  What kind of fish do you catch there?

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2024, 06:08:03 PM »
 Shore fishing was a recent discovery for me. I like to fish Sierra streams with the water flowing and trying to find good spots on the banks, but lakes, not so much. The shore fishing on the Kona coast has a similar dynamic to stream fishing, moving water and keeping aware of waves and negotiating the lava. Johnny and I tried it a few months ago and really enjoyed it!

The Emporer fish has molars. I was told it is the Holy Grail of Kona spear fishing and a rare catch with a pole from shore. The spiny yellow with red spots one was a bitch to get off the hook.

NOAL

• Pin Heads
  • Hit Lichen Scrub
« Reply #39 on: Yesterday at 03:26:51 PM »
    I made it to Satsumasendai around 5:30.  Just before the bridge that crosses into town there was the Royal Business Inn.  $50 including free Japanese breakfast.  Deal.  By the time I checked in and packed the bike into the bag it was dark. What I could gather from the map is that there was an area right across the river from the hotel where all of the restaurants and bars were located.  Interesting because it was not the usual situation where the train station is where everything is happening. 

As usual I was running on about a 12% charge for my phone battery so I could basically just do a quick walk through of the hood and check out what I bookmarked on the phone and then make a decision.  This town was unlike any other town I had visited.  Not much to look at and very dark.  What gave it an even more grittier feel was that many restaurants did not open to 10 p.m. There were about 25 izakayas in 4 square blocks.  I was trying not to drink very much on this trip so an Izakaya was not calling out to me.  Finally ended up finding a ramen shop.  At this point my phone was dead so no Google translate to read the menu.  Picked from looking at the photo and got Tonkatsu ramen.  No fried pork in tonkatsu ramen just a more hearty pork broth.  It was very good.  Just the cook,the waitress, a couple of other guys eating, and a small group of teenage girls.  At least one of them must have been the waitress' younger sister.  I could hear them whispering back and forth if any of them spoke English. They probably wanted to know why I was there. I told them I spoke a little Japanese but this just resulted in a lot of giggling and them getting embarrassed.  It was pretty funny.

On the way back to the hotel I saw group of about 50-75 guys hanging around outside of a store front.  Across the street there was another group about the same size.  It appeared they were preparing for some kind of event.  Whatever was going on was obviously not that night but I guess to prepare they needed to drink a lot for team building.   When I got back to the hotel I checked it out and turns out Satsumasendai is home to the Japan's largest tug o war!  It was happening that weekend. It was Wednesday.  Dang it.   The rope weighs 7 tons!  Check it out

https://www.kagoshima-kankou.com/for/events/51897

Here's a couple of funny business hotel shots

and a super cool car

DAY 7 SATSUMASENDAI to KAGOSHIMA 40 miles

Had the free Japanese breakfast at the hotel which was pretty good.  I never pass it up if it's free .  Sometimes it's an extra cost which can involve being served.  Rarely do this because it takes up too much time but if you are not in a rush the paid version is usually really good. 

Put the bike back together and hit the road.  Today's ride to Kagoshima was pretty short which gave me a fair amount of time to explore the city. Tried to visit a pottery village just outside of Satsumasendai but it was only open on weekends.  After that it was a nice ride inland through some hills.  Stopped at a roadside station on the way that had a big farmer's market.  Had some soft serve.

Kagoshima is on a bay.  In the middle of the bay is an island with the active volcano Sakurajima.  The citizens often carry umbrellas to keep from being dusted with ash.  There are also street sweepers that vacuum up.  It's a unique and historical city .  Checked out the Meiji Restoration Museum.  Very interesting.  In the basement they have a 30 minute show with robot versions of important historical figures.  No photos allowed.  I was surprised that most of the visitors at the museum were young people who were actually taking the time to watch all of the videos in the exhibits. The other tourist activity in Kagoshima is to visit the birthplaces and former homes of a couple of dozen important historical figures.  Many of these spots are marked with bronze statues of the person.

The historical figure that seems to be the most famous and liked is the samurai Saigo Takamori who is also known as the last Samurai.  Yes, this is the guy the movie starring Tom Cruise is based on.  When you see a photo of Saigo and read about him it's kind of ridiculous that Cruise was chosen to play him.  Anyway, everybody loves Saigo.  I even visited a shop called Kagomania that has all kinds of humorous t shirts, hats etc with cartoon drawings of Saigo.  He was a remarkable fellow.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saig%C5%8D_Takamori

I had a booked another business hotel by the train station but could not check into 4pm.  Most every hotel I stayed at the check out time was 10 a.m and check in was 4pm.  I guess that 6 hr window gives them time to really clean the rooms.  After I visited he museum I spent the rest of the time riding around Kagoshima getting an idea of the layout of the city and where I might want to walk later in the evening.  Rode down to the harbor where you can catch the ferry to Sakurajima.

Around 3:30 I rode over to the hotel and disassembled the bike, put it in the bag, and checked in at 4.  They are really strict about check in time I tried at 3:50 and was told I need to wait 10 minutes.  Rules are rules.  Like usual took a shower, changed clothes,and tried to get a charge on the phone.  Around 5 I set out for the observation  at the nearby Shiroyama park to get a good view of the city and Sakurajima. It was about a 15 minute walk to the trailhead. 

Big tori gate for the temple at Shiroyama park.

Start of the trail up the hill.  More like a road closed to traffic. Many people were out doing their evening run or walk. 

observation area and of course vending machines. One with ice cream!

view of the Sakurajima and city

pretty sizable city

By the time I walked down from the observation deck it was starting to get dark.  Being that Kagoshima is known for Kurobuta there was only one logical choice for dinner.  One of top Tonkatsu restaurants Kawakyu was a few blocks from the hotel.  Reviews said pricey 4000 yen or $27 but worth it if you wanted to eat Kurobuta Tonkatsu. It's funny what is considered pricey there.   My phone was almost dead so I made a mental note where it was located.  I apologize for the lack of food porn photos.  Here's a link to a photo of the interior of the restaurant. https://img.retty.me/img_repo/l/01/2791910.jpg  and one of a tonkatsu dinner there.  https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZyxyG5jD36sNptu3A  As you can see it is a no frills restaurant.  I did not get to sit at the raised platform and tatami mats.  I think that is usually for larger groups or families. 

This restaurant was challenging because the menu was all in Japanese.  No English version, no photos on the menu, and the wait staff did not speak or understand any English.  I did alright.  At most of the Tonkatsu places the menu options are for a few different kinds of pork (Kurobuta will be the most expensive on the menu)  an option to double your portion to 2 cutlets and an add on option of a big fried prawn. With my ability to read hiragana/katakana and through the process of elimination I was able to  figure out what was what on the menu.  The funniest part was I wanted a beer and  I could read the word biru in katakana on the menu but the waiter acted like he did not know what I was talking about. Biru onegaishimasu was not gonna cut it.  I had to say the full sentence "I would like to drink this beer in this size".  I guess it would kind of be the same situation ordering in English but this waiter was making me work for it. 

Kawakyu takes the number two spot for best Kurobuta on the trip.  Don't get me wrong it was delicious and no doubt one of the best Tonkatsu places in Kagoshima.  Japanese people get really psyched for the Tonkatsu.  There was a family sitting across from me and you can tell the husband was super excited about his meal.  It was a big deal.  When it came out he was clapping his hands and smiling ear to ear.  He then got the phone out an snapped off some photos.  After that all the preparation to eat took an additional five minutes to get things just right.  For this meal I watched closely and took note of what he was doing. When I get to the tour winner I will describe the process.

It was an excellent meal.  Not too much to do in Kagoshima at night.  I walked around a bit through the train station and then headed back to the hotel to watch some funny TV shows.