Author Topic: Registration is disabled.  (Read 5682 times)

mudworm

• Head Mistress
    • http://www.mxi2000.net
Registration is disabled.
« on: November 15, 2022, 11:44:48 AM »
The recent comments about all the new silent members prompted me to close the registration. There is no point to continue to leaving the board open to security threats.

If someone really wants to join the forum and post, find someone you know to propagate the request. We'll register you on demand.

If the camp fire is still going, enjoy the huddle and chitchat. But if someday it goes out, it's probably a good time to turn in for the night.

Inch by inch, I will get there.

F4?

• unworthy
Re: Registration is disabled.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2022, 03:54:40 PM »
Be careful of Mungie bots!
I'm not worthy.

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
  • my density has brought me to you...
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2022, 06:08:55 AM »
I have never understood why people register and then never post. I guess that they think they need to register to have access to something more? Maybe NOAL knows. I also recall a fairly recent comment by a new poster who seemed to be somewhat hesitant to post because of the nature of most of what goes back and forth (inside jokes) between the "core" group.
One wheel shy of "normal"

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2022, 06:46:46 AM »
Quickly scanning the members list I see 22 out of 50 on the first page with zero posts. Looking further I see 18 0's on page 2, 18 on page 3, 19 on page 4, 19 on page 5 and 2 on page 6. Of 266 members there are 98 zero posters. A whopping 37% non participants. And no clink - I am not explaining the math.  :lol:

Why not just chop users if they don't post within a certain amount of time - like Mungie does on the SPH forum?

I am not the accountant in this family but I do like numbers - and guillotines. :ihih: :lol: :devildevil:

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2022, 05:18:33 PM »
 I vote for mutes and minimal math!

After years of playing on playgrounds and in parks, I ended up building/updating a few. I wasn’t a bit concerned about who was going to use them. Some folks walk through the parks and just look at the scenery. Others will use the equipment we installed. I don’t think that the soldiers at the Defense Language Institute had much time for views doing the obstacle course we built.

There is even a piece of climbing equipment dubbed a “silent partner “.

Then there is the vast potential I possess to gab and post enough for a hundred or two other people.

People join but don’t post, maybe it’s like getting baptized but not going to church.

Nowadays we have enough graffiti, vandals, viruses and pirates to deal with, bummer!

Cheers breathers!
Causing trouble when not climbing.

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2022, 05:00:16 AM »
^^^
thanks Uncle Jon.
Going back under my rock now... :ciappa: :arf:

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2022, 06:58:02 AM »

>:D

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2022, 07:16:21 AM »
That might be the burn of all burns.

Incendiary

The smoke coming off my backside may help keep me warm on my morning ride today.

Bravo

:ciappa: :ciappa: :ciappa:

Atomizer

• Atomized
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2022, 05:42:40 AM »
Is this really an issue? We don’t need to get all Elon on this one. Maybe they don't post because we all seem pretty boring. Maybe new meme bees should be required to make some kind of new thread.

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2022, 06:00:38 PM »
Perhaps we need a volunteer admin to approve new registrations.
Here's to sweat in your eye

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2022, 10:16:02 PM »
I volunteer Klink!
I'm not worthy.

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2022, 05:54:25 PM »

Background and foreground checks required?

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2022, 06:03:32 PM »

How many people on average apply to register in a year?

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2022, 06:15:14 AM »
^^^
Scroll through 6 pages of members to answer your question

mudworm

• Head Mistress
    • http://www.mxi2000.net
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2022, 08:56:05 AM »

That's not it. I have no problem approving (or declining) registrations. It's just never really clear which signups are genuine, which are the work of a smart melicious scammer. Googling is not enough and often does not reveal anything. From time to time, we get an email from our own server (mudncrud account) blackmailing for payment. The more fake registrations we allow, the more we open ourselves up to security threats.

If (real) people really want to register on this site, they WILL find a way. (But why in this mountainproj day and age?) Occasionally, there might be one person or two disappointed that they couldn't register, but trust me, their life will not be lacking in anyway because of that.
Inch by inch, I will get there.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2022, 09:09:51 AM »

If (real) people really want to register on this site, they WILL find a way.

This is true. It also seems like an elegant way to solve the problem.

But why in this mountainproj day and age?

Because Mountain Project is dogshit and this site is not? Because people on this site are genuinely interested in Pinnacles? And because Mountain Project is going to go "for profit" to make money from information that everyone has always thought they were sharing as "a public good?"

catcrack

• LoadStone Lovers
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2022, 10:34:58 PM »
After being a longtime lurker as a Guest and having only recently created an account, I can say that I am a real person who is grateful for this website big time. Before even living near pinns I could go on this website and read what real people were discussing and updating pics, stories. I really do think it’s a cool thing for a place of such history to have.
And as someone who is interested in updated route info and info on newly established routes, this is the place for that for pinns. Thanks to those who establish new routes and want others to get on them.

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2022, 09:17:04 AM »
More challenge questions to the challenge questions
I'm not worthy.

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2022, 11:30:39 AM »
I understand that, but this is website administration and always has been. 

That's not it. I have no problem approving (or declining) registrations. It's just never really clear which signups are genuine, which are the work of a smart melicious scammer. Googling is not enough and often does not reveal anything. From time to time, we get an email from our own server (mudncrud account) blackmailing for payment. The more fake registrations we allow, the more we open ourselves up to security threats.

If (real) people really want to register on this site, they WILL find a way. (But why in this mountainproj day and age?) Occasionally, there might be one person or two disappointed that they couldn't register, but trust me, their life will not be lacking in anyway because of that.
Here's to sweat in your eye

John.k.moore

• Lichen It
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2022, 12:50:30 AM »
I also recall a fairly recent comment by a new poster who seemed to be somewhat hesitant to post because of the nature of most of what goes back and forth (inside jokes) between the "core" group.

It's not even being hesitant...it's that there's nothing to post about or nothing to join in. And, wow, this is getting into some serious meta territory here that I'm making a post saying there's nothing to post about. But for real. I don't know...I joined because I went on the Pinnacles Climbing Facebook page, that's basically dead, and asked if people posted there to get climbing partners. I was directed here. So I come in thinking this will be like other forums and groups I've been on, for golf not climbing, where I can post at 8am saying "hey, anybody want to play today" and by 9 there's 4 or 5 people responding "yeah dude, let's go, name the place I'll be there." But that's not what's here. Be super cool if it was. And, of course, that's not limited to just this page, the Bay Area Facebook climbing groups have like 3500 members and still nobody responds. Sometimes I want to respond "3500 people and none of you [words redacted] can climb this morning?" Maybe it's regional differences or something.