Author Topic: Registration is disabled.  (Read 5678 times)

NOAL

• Pin Heads
  • Hit Lichen Scrub
Re: Registration is disabled.
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2022, 10:14:16 AM »
Golf has less consequences.

John.k.moore

• Lichen It
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2022, 02:34:10 PM »
Sure. But when 3500 people are on a climbing partners page allegedly looking for partners, why can't we find partners? It's like that scene from Bull Durham where Costner, Susan Sarandon, and Tim Robbins are all sitting around and Robbins says "so is somebody going to go to bed with somebody or what?"

NOAL

• Pin Heads
  • Hit Lichen Scrub
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2022, 03:23:27 PM »

This forum is as Catcrack stated up thread is an excellent resource for new routes, updates on rebolted climbs, and the combined knowledge of people who have climbed at Pinns for decades.  I would not say it is good for finding partners.  It is a document of an era in Pinnacles climbing.

At one point I was open to climbing with strangers I met on Mt. Project and Supertopo.  After a long string of partners who were dangerous, had little or no climbing experience (and posted otherwise) or just bat shit crazy (or completely assholes with no basic social skills) I am no longer open to it.  I am sure that there are people out there that have found great partners through the internet just not me.  I do not have the time or patience anymore.

The best strategy IMO of finding an outdoor climbing partner is to do it in person. That could be at the spot you want to climb, joining a outdoor climbing group, or meeting people at the climbing gym.  I think nowadays the climbing gym is the best bet.  Go up to the desk and have them make the announcement for a partner and usually you will get other people who need a partner too.  The trick is finding who wants to climb outside the gym.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2022, 03:50:20 PM »
I drive way too far to climb at Pinnacles to NOT have partners all set up for each day that I am there.

And while the site hasn't ever been used as a partner finder per se, I don't know of anyone who's posted here much who hasn't then found their way into climbing with the regulars here (most often by invitation - one direction or another).

NOAL

• Pin Heads
  • Hit Lichen Scrub
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2022, 04:14:21 PM »
I think it was stated on one of the other threads that when we had events like PCAD (trail work day) and get togethers it was a good way to meet new people.  We just went camping for the Fall so maybe we can do that again in the Spring.

I met the people on here by attending a trail work day.  I met John Cook a couple of times before that just around the park.  Once he and Kathy were in the High Peaks by the Smokestack (first time I got to hear the tirade of Burton's Below not being 5.8)  Then another time in the Bear Gulch Parking.  John came walking into the parking lot wearing his helmet, knee pads, safety glasses, and carrying a big prybar. He looked like he should play in DEVO.  I think Kathy was with him too.  Might of met Brad before the trail work day too when I bumped into him and John while I was out on a trail run/climb day.

Have to give it to you Brad you are great at scooping up climbers in the parking lot and getting them involved.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2022, 05:31:27 PM »
^^^

There are lots of great climbers to be met in the parking lot. Just in the last while, Marco, Mikayla, Jack, Freya, Riley, and... probably others.

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2022, 07:38:07 PM »

I met Jonathan Richards in the parking lot.
Causing trouble when not climbing.

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
  • my density has brought me to you...
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2022, 08:01:04 AM »
John came walking into the parking lot wearing his helmet, knee pads, safety glasses, and carrying a big prybar. He looked like he should play in DEVO. 

Well...we are both from Akron.  :guitar: :blahblah: :thumbup: 8)

Have to give it to you Brad you are great at scooping up climbers in the parking lot and getting them involved.

Yes - but look what happens when I scoop up someone  :ihih:

One wheel shy of "normal"