Author Topic: The San Andreas is crackin' wise  (Read 1824 times)

JC w KC redux

• my density has brought me to you...
The San Andreas is crackin' wise
« on: October 15, 2019, 11:53:20 AM »

I just felt an earthquake here at the house and it was a 4.8 in Tres Pinos - so that and the fact that Pinnacles would not exist were it not for the fault - qualifies as a legit topic.

People will no doubt start talking about the anniversary of Loma Prieta - almost 30 years to the day.

One wheel shy of "normal"

NOAL

• Pin Heads
  • Hit Lichen Scrub
Re: The San Andreas is crackin' wise
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 12:09:54 PM »
One last night in Pleasant hill 4.5? There's been quite a few in the last couple of weeks.  One in Pacifica about a week ago.  Both shook our place.

JC w KC redux

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 01:51:17 PM »
One last night in Pleasant hill 4.5? There's been quite a few in the last couple of weeks.  One in Pacifica about a week ago.  Both shook our place.

Maybe the fault is celebrating its anniversary.
Maybe some of the splinter faults like the Hayward and Calaveras will join the party.
Let's hope people don't Freak Out!

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 05:46:36 PM »
I wouldn't go to the Pinnacles with the earth shaking.....the place might split apart even more. Although there might be some new routes...
I'm not worthy.

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 05:47:03 AM »
A 2.6 centered near Gilroy at 6:32am to help the coffee go down this morning. The Big Juan is coming.
Causing trouble when not climbing.

waldo

• Mudders
    • Chaos Gate
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 06:00:42 AM »
An old friend and climbing partner from KC was hiking at Pinns when the Tres Pinots quake hit. He noticed nothing and found out he'd been through an earthquake when he returned home. Rocks don't wiggle that much.

JC w KC redux

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 06:01:39 AM »
A 2.6 centered near Gilroy at 6:32am to help the coffee go down this morning. The Big Juan is coming.

There will likely be a lot of smaller aftershocks as the muscles relax after flexing them - but you never know...
Tomorrow is the 30th anniversary of Loma Prieta.
You might want to leave a sacrificial offering somewhere along the rift zone.
It crosses hwy 129 by the Aromas Quarry (close to you clink).
Maybe you could get the Frozen Chicken to do a quake dance.
That way you can say it was no fault of yours.

JC w KC redux

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 06:05:33 AM »
An old friend and climbing partner from KC was hiking at Pinns when the Tres Pinots quake hit. He noticed nothing and found out he'd been through an earthquake when he returned home. Rocks don't wiggle that much.

I was sitting when it happened. If you are up and moving around you might not notice - if the shaking is not that significant.

We were at Destiny Wall one day and Kat was sitting while the rest of us were up moving around. She swore there was a quake (we heard a boom like a rock fall) but felt nothing. She was sitting on that big log (that's rotted away now) and swore she felt it.
She was right. We checked the USGS site when we got home.

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 07:01:34 AM »
Data seems to indicate that the likely hood of a large earthquake correlates to the number of earthquakes happening.  It may have ramped up and is now ramping down.  It may still be ramping up.  I still have server down there, really just have to migrate one storage unit the all hell can break loose and I will not worry.
Here's to sweat in your eye

JC w KC redux

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2019, 08:07:20 AM »
Data seems to indicate that the likely hood of a large earthquake correlates to the number of earthquakes happening.  It may have ramped up and is now ramping down.  It may still be ramping up.  I still have server down there, really just have to migrate one storage unit the all hell can break loose and I will not worry.

Earthquake prediction is definitely a frontier area of research (and probably always will be).
As much as we might want to see correlations and patterns, there really are none.
We know one thing for sure - tectonic plates move and cause earthquakes - and those can happen any time.
It's all statistics and probability (might as well eat Pie in the Sky)  :yesnod: :biggrin:
I like the fact that constant renewal by tectonics keeps things interesting.
Without that renewal, everything would just wear down until the Earth's surface was flat - kinda like living in Florida!  :yikes: :lol:

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2019, 09:09:06 AM »
I love data, a lot of research has been done in this area due to fracking.  Everything I have read indicates that the number of quakes in an area directly corelates to the likely hood of a larger earthquake.  Does not mean with no quakes there will not be a large earthquake but the likely hood is lower.

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2019, 09:22:26 AM »

The bottom line, Mud, is that you should schedule a whole body exfoliating treatment soon.
Causing trouble when not climbing.

JC w KC redux

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2019, 11:00:08 AM »
I love data, a lot of research has been done in this area due to fracking.  Everything I have read indicates that the number of quakes in an area directly corelates to the likely hood of a larger earthquake.  Does not mean with no quakes there will not be a large earthquake but the likely hood is lower.

Some subscribe to the idea that if there are lots of smaller quakes - that means less accumulated stress and therefore less likely hood of a big quake. Seismologists love to argue/defend their ideas/hypotheses - as do scientists in general. The problem with earthquake science is that it is difficult to design an experiment and then execute it. The scientific method demands repeatable testing with consistent/robust results to support any new idea/hypothesis/theory.

You are living near a subduction zone, so the one thing I can guarantee you is - there will eventually be a huge quake.
The last really big one along that zone was Alaska 1964.
That type of tectonic boundary produces the largest earthquakes known to mankind.  :thumbup: :biggrin: :yesnod:

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2019, 12:57:24 PM »
With my new job I no longer deal with infrastructure so once my current storage replacement project is over I do not really care what happens in the data center.  I get to be the guy yelling to get my stuff back online.  Wait a month or so then let er rip.

NOAL

• Pin Heads
  • Hit Lichen Scrub
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2019, 02:34:56 PM »
Nice. Congrats!

JC w KC redux

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2019, 04:55:04 PM »
Nice. Congrats!

I second that and please don't use big words like infrastructure - it really confuses my reptilian brain  :yesnod: :lol:

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2019, 05:18:36 PM »
Congratulations!

I started a new job this week as well.

Let the ground shake.
I'm not worthy.