Author Topic: One for the road  (Read 67670 times)

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
  • my density has brought me to you...
Re: One for the road
« Reply #160 on: May 12, 2024, 11:41:35 AM »
I was in Aptos, waiting to turn onto Trout Gulch and a young girl (9?), riding by on her unicycle with mom and little sister on normal bikes not far behind. I saw them at New Leaf Market a few minutes later and complimented the uni rider on the accomplishment of biking while missing two thirds of the bike. She had done a little over 2 miles that session.

Assuming it was a smaller wheel. 2 miles is a long way on a little wheel.
I have been doing a bit over 4 each day and it takes me about 50 minutes.
One wheel shy of "normal"

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
« Reply #161 on: May 12, 2024, 12:01:56 PM »

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #162 on: May 12, 2024, 12:03:39 PM »

Athlete at the Wheel!
Causing trouble when not climbing.

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
« Reply #163 on: May 13, 2024, 09:32:08 AM »
Athlete at the Wheel!

Hardly.
But thanks.
Riding has been frustrating as hell lately.
I think I should have exited gracefully a while back - like Sting did from the Police.

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
« Reply #164 on: May 14, 2024, 07:25:19 AM »

I bobbled on a mount the other day and fell forward just enough to rake the pedal up the back of my leg.

I've been having trouble with the 36 inch wheel for months. After replacing the tire (to no avail) I began hypothesizing that something must be bent. Thus far I have replaced every part except the frame (tire, pedals, cranks, rebuilt wheel, seat post, seat). In the process, I learned how to lace and true my wheel (new hub, bearings and new spokes). I'd order a frame but it turns out I won't be able to get one until next year. In the interim, in an attempt to eliminate myself as the cause of the riding difficulty, I ordered a 26 inch wheel (what I learned on) and started riding that. Now, trying to ride the 36er feels even more foreign - something I have not experienced in the last decade of riding it. WTF?
I am determined to figure it out and have even started thinking about ordering a 29 inch wheel to see how that feels.
Maybe I should just get a 20 inch wheel, learn to juggle and join the circus.

Like the White Whale - it beckons...

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #165 on: May 14, 2024, 07:33:35 AM »
Hold it, I thought you were a member of the circus already? And you left us all here while you travel.

NOAL

• Pin Heads
  • Hit Lichen Scrub
« Reply #166 on: May 14, 2024, 11:58:50 AM »
Do you have one of those stands to true your wheel?  I guess you could flip the unicycle upside and throw it in a vice or something. 

Recently bought this book about wheels an wheel building by Jobst Brandt.  https://www.isolapress.com/shop/jobst-brandt  Might have posted here before but his other book is really cool too. A lot of photos of riding on the Peninsula and Santa Cruz mountains pre- MTB.  Also some good photos of riding Sonora Pass in the 70s.  I highly recommend both his books. Looks like the publisher has some other cool titles that I have not bought yet. 

How's riding the unicycle in Kentucky?  People doing a lot of double takes?

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
« Reply #167 on: May 15, 2024, 05:11:34 AM »
There are no truing stands for 36 inch wheels but the frame works. I just took the seat off and screwed the seat post bracket to a couple pieces of scrap plywood and then used zip ties for side to side and painters tape for up/down. Lacing the wheel was a trip and I did buy a spoke tension meter from Park Tools. I tried a cheapie first and it was junk.
Those books sound cool. The guy I used to climb with in Red River Gorge used to ride the trails in the gorge back then. He has some wild stories to tell.
Folks in the neighborhood are used to me after so many trips back here but they still get a kick out of it. I always get a smile a laugh or a wave (or all of the above).